To: "'Liu, Hong'" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 07:29:11 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Definition of "External" Host

> The sentence you quoted seems OK if the terms "management
> authority" and
> "repository" are precisely defined. It is not a problem if
> the repository is
> the whole TLD and the management authority is the TLD
> registry operator.
> However, it is getting complicated when delegation of name
> spaces occurs
> under the same TLD in 3rd level and up.
>
> Maybe an example will help explain my point. Suppose we have
> a TLD .tld with
> two 3rd level delegations del1.tld and del2.tld. So there are
> three disjoint
> name spaces under .tld: del1.tld, del2.tld and anything else
> under .tld.
> These three name spaces have different registration policies.
> They may also
> share some common registration policies.
>
> If I understand correctly, .tld, .del1.tld, and .del2.tld are
> considered as
> three separate "repositories". If not, please ignore the rest of the
> message.

My contention is that they are all under the same ultimate management
authority and part of the same repository because they are all part of the
same TLD branch.

Think of it this way: should I or should I not be publishing glue records
for hosts registered under these domains?  If the answer is "yes", they are
not external hosts.  If the answer is "no", they are external hosts.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list