To: "'Liu, Hong'" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 19:58:47 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Definition of "External" Host

> I have a question for clarification regarding the definition
> of "external"
> host in the 2nd paragraph of Section 1.1 in
> draft-ietf-provreg-epp-host-05.txt. Does it mean that a host object is
> external to the current TLD only if the host name belongs to
> another TLD?
> There are other cases that a host can also be external under
> the same TLD
> but belongs to different 3rd level delegations. Thanks!

I think the definition in section 1.1 is pretty clear: if there is no
superordinate domain name (a domain name higher up in the hierarchy)
registered in the repository, the host is considered an external host.  What
matters is where the management authority for the host's registered domain
lies:

"Such hosts are
described as "external" hosts in this specification since the
management authority for these hosts is external to the repository in
which the host is being used for delegation purposes."

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list