To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Cc: ietf-whois@imc.org, ietf-not43@lists.research.netsol.com, dbwg@arin.net, Woeber@CC.UniVie.ac.at, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, w3c-p3p-specification@w3.org, iesg@isi.edu
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:55:04 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Request to Move RFC 954 to Historic Status

[Long list of mailing lists in the Cc:, feel free to trim. I specially
believe that it is OT for Provreg.]

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 01:32:26PM -0400,
 Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net> wrote
 a message of 178 lines which said:

> Then there is the current ICANN announcement of some policy w.r.t. its
> Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA). The RAA contains language which
> appears closer to the language in 954 concerning MILNET TAC users than to
> the language in 954 concerning individual with a directory on an ARPANET or
> MILNET host. Both are in conflict with 95/46/EC,

The RAA is certainly in conflict with 95/46/EC. That's a problem with
having the ICANN as an USAn company, not an international body: ICANN
is not supposed to take European law into consideration.

For the policy part of RFC 954 (not the protocol), I hesitate.

> I can't speculate on the actual status of :43 deployments by ccTLD operators
> located outside of North America.

According to our lawyer (IANAL), the whois of the French registry,
whois.nic.fr, is legal according to the French law (which is more
strict than 95/46/EC). Do note that we do not sale or transfer the
database in bulk. Do note also that  95/46/EC does not prevent public
directories.

> I decided not to include a mapping from the DCA language to a P3P schema,
> as for many, the policy scope question (controlling jurisdiction and legal
> theory, e.g., "fair trade" (US) vs "human rights" (EU)), not the mechanism
> for description and policy-scoped access, is more interesting, and both XML
> and schemas and/or DTDs are a distraction. I'll add it to -01.

For those interested, EUREG, following a suggestion of CORE, is
working with the W3C to develop a P3P expression of a registry's
policy. Comments on <www-p3p-policy@w3.org>, please.

> If anyone can provide feedback from RIPE-43 and or CENTR (Jaap?),

The issue will be discussed monday at the CENTR technical meeting just
before RIPE-43.

Home | Date list | Subject list