To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
CC: "Liu, Hong" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>
From: Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:02:00 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Proposed Document Changes - Pending Operations

Just to chime in here...

I like the steps described by Hong here -- a very natual use of the poll
mechanism.  I understand from recent postings by Scott and Hong that a
new "Command completed successfully; action pending" response code/text
will be added to the base draft.  I believe this is crutial for the
steps described below.  It allows the registrar to reliable pass the
message on to the registrant that the registry is not quite finished the
operation.

I think Hong was also looking for a well-defined and reliable schema for
poll responses.  IMHO, the typical notification messages would look like
commands.  I do see that sending an <info> response and leaving it up to
the registrar to figure out what changed isn't the greatest idea.
 Though registrars could build their systems to expect "predictable"
change to an object based on the "...action pending" response to the
previous command on that object.  Otherwise, we'd have to build a
notification message shema to describe a change on an object (removal of
a status, addition of another property, etc...).

Dan

--
Daniel Manley
Tucows, Inc.