To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Liu, Hong" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:41:01 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Proposed Document Changes - Pending Operations

Patrik,

Thanks for the clarification. At least we have consensus on the definition,
-:)

I initially thought that Scott and I were discussing means to achieving
this. But now you are suggesting that EPP shoud not support such operations.
I want to know why.

Now I think we have a big issue at hand if this capability is striped out of
the protocol at the last minute. This is not what I want to do, this is what
the reality of registry operations calls for. There are many cases where
instant execution of a requested operation on a server object is not
possible. This is particularly true for sponsored TLDs and/or ccTLDs where
registry policy requires that an operation be authorized before execution.
Take .au and .kids.us for example. There are also cases for advanced
services offered by unsponsored registries that need this capability.

Please tell me what I have available to accommodate these use cases? I don't
buy the idea that this has to be done outside of EPP since this is a generic
scenario. In addition, even for out-of-hand solutions, the response from the
server, step (2) in your definition, still does not mean the completion of
the command. So we are back to square zero.

--Hong