To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Liu, Hong" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:49:43 -0600
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Reverse Lookup using IP Address in EPP?

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine
[mailto:brunner@nic-naa.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 4:34 PM
To: Liu, Hong
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se; brunner@nic-naa.net

> Suppose company X has created a host object ...

Is "company X" a registrar?

> Now company Y, who has the IP address ...

Is "company Y" a registrar?

[HL] Both X and Y are registrants. Their respective registrars act on their
behalf to create the host objects.

> ... how can the registry prevent IP address hijacking ...

Let's clear up the first set of issues and identify who the actors are, then
see if this is an EPP issue, or a registry-on-the-brink-of-anarchy feature.

[HL] I don't think the last part of the sentence is of relevance to this
discussion.

James Seng raised this issue a year ago (Feb 7), if I understand the problem
posed.

[HL] If that was discussed before, I would like to know the result of the
discussion. Any pointer would be appreciated.

> The second question has to do with whois.

This isn't an EPP issue.

[HL] I asked the question because whois was suggested by Scott and Patrik as
out-of-band means to getting the job done. What I want to make sure is that
whether ALL host objects created in the registry are available for query in
the whois database.

Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list