To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Jens-Uwe Gaspar <jug@schlund.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:05:58 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: <info> Command and authInfo

Rick H Wesson wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
> > You've suggested that "the status command should be open to all registrars".
> > Let's change "status" to <info> to make this about EPP and not RRP.  Here's
> > my question to you: other than as part of requesting a transfer, what other
> > _technical_ reason(s) does a client have to perform an <info> command on a
> > domain sponsored by another client?
>
> durring expiration, if its a name you are competeing over its a
> requirement to know if the domain is recently registered. there are other
> examples but I can't disclose some other registrar's business practices

While registering a new object (domain, contact or host), it may happen,
that in the registry the object was registered, but accidently our database
will fail (cause of deadlock, DB-maintenance, or whatever).
Because there's no transaction enclosing registry _and_ registrars actions,
we must recommence registering the object (dom/contact/host):

  <check> existence of object;
  if existing, do <info> to get [sponsoring registrar]:
    if [sponsoring registrar] not equal to ourselves => we're sad registrar
       and stop further action for this object
    else: we're happy registrar and go on with further actions :)

In practice it stands the test (.INFO/.BIZ) and we would appreciate,
if that's also be possible in future versions of EPP.

Do you want to restrict returning the object data completely, or do you
allow returning parts (changing minOccurs in the specs)?

  For example, reducing <info> result-data to the output the corresponding
  whois-server list, if requested by a registrar other than the current
  sponsoring one.

Best regards,

Jens-Uwe Gaspar

> [snip]

Jens-Uwe Gaspar                              Schlund + Partner AG
E-Mail: jug@schlund.de                       Erbprinzenstr. 4 - 12
Tel. +49-721-91374-50                        76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
Fax  +49-721-91374-20                        http://www.schlund.de

Home | Date list | Subject list