To: jordyn@register.com
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: asbjorn.rrp@theglobalname.org
Date: 18 Dec 2001 16:57:28 -0000
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: "External" hosts in EPP

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:37:48 -0800 "Jordyn A. Buchanan" wrote:
>Consistency is nice.  Asbjorn's proposal has the added advantage of
>making it much easier to change from a host without glue to an
>in-zone host with glue by simply updating the object as opposed to
>changing each and every domain that you have associated with a
>particular out-of-zone host.
>
>Jordyn

Yeah, and I don't think that differentiating between in-zone and external hosts will complicate the protocol too much. The registrars can refer to any exernal hosts they want to without messing things up for other registrars, and the registry only needs to make sure that there are "separate namespaces" for external hosts for each registrar...

As far as I can see (right now at least), domain transfers won't be too complicated either. The following will probably work:

a) If the domain is using an in-zone host, it behaves as in the current EPP drafts. After the transfer, the domain will still point to the same host object. No host objects will be created and the domain object will not be modified.

b) If the domain is using an external host that the gaining registrar has not already registered, a copy of the existing host object should be copied into the namespace of the gaining registrar (thus owning the new host object). In addition the domain record needs to refer to the new object instead of the old object[1].

c) If the domain is using an external host that the gaining registrar has already registered in the Registry, the domain should start refering to the "new" (as in the for the gaining registrar's existing) host id instead of the old (losing registrar's) host id. The domain record needs to be updated afterwards to refer to the new object instead of the old object[1].

Hopefully, I am not missing aything obvious here...

Thanks,

Asbjorn

[1] I think this will be as good as invisible for the user. As the host is listed in the domain using the name, not the roid, there would be no visible change here. In host object commands it should not cause any problems either as the name again is used to identify the objects. The only difference[2] would be in the ROID value for the host object, but this id is only used in the <info> command today AFAICR.

[2] <offtopic>Well... This is out of scope of this group, but if the registry supports a domain lookup type in WHOIS where it will list the nameserver id's instead of their names, the nameserver id's will of course also have to change here...</offtopic>

--
 The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person(s)
 or entity to which it is addressed and may contain proprietary, confidential

Home | Date list | Subject list