To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
cc: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, <paul.mylotte@bt.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Elmar Knipp <Elmar.Knipp@knipp.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:19:08 +0100 (MET)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Comments on EPP at the Registrars Constituency

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:

> Could you expand on your paranthetical comment?
>
> What will the AERO-registry use for a provisioning protocol, and what are
> the reasons for that choice?

Eric,

we will use the enhanced version 2.0 (March 2001) of the old CORE SRS
protocol (1999), which is based on simple key value pairs.

The main reason is that the functional specs for SITA were negotiated in
spring 2001 and the contracts between CORE and SITA are based on these
specs. Moreover, it was planned that the registrar functions are not only
done by ICANN registrars. Therefore the technical barriers on the
registrars site should be very low.

Admittedly, this is by no means cutting edge technology, but we needed a
compromise between ease of use and capability of expression for the
protocol.

Best regards,
Elmar

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                        44227 Dortmund
                                        Germany