To: Mike Lampson <lampson@iaregistry.com>
cc: "'ietf-provregcafaxse'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>
From: Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap@sidn.nl>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:51:01 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: <check> Response Attribute

    Maybe it's too late for this, but what us Registrars need to know is whether
    the name is available for registration, not if it exists.  If a name cannot
    be registered, I don't really care if it can't be registered because it
    already exists or because it is reserved.

Some registries have a policy were one can actually request that
the a special status such as resereved, blockes, etc.  can be
dropped. At the .nl rgistry we have/had various different reasons
why names cannot/could not be registered. If you try, you'll get
a response in the style of ``reserved according to rule x.y of the
regulations''. Depending on which rule is citated, one can sometime
follow a procedure to get the name afterall.

Other registries might have similar policies. So, depending on the
registry, the registrar might actually want to know.

	jaap

Home | Date list | Subject list