To: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
cc: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@register.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, jaap@sidn.nl
From: Ed Rahn <ed@ItsYourDomain.Com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:27:51 -0500 (CDT)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: <check> Response Attribute

How would a <create> command deal with an object that returned a <check>
of "maybe". It would either need to create the object, or not create it.

Addressing Jordyn's comments. Could EPP be used in some type of
asynchronous fashion? I searched through the "Generic Registry-Registrar
Protocol Requirements" draft quickly and did not see anything concerning
realtime or delayed actions. If EPP could be used in a delayed environment
a "maybe" responce might be needed. In this case "yes" would be not be
used, and we would still be using a two responce system.

Addressing Edward's comments. Would we want to make <check>
conditional? This could not only be necessary for domains but any other
object that would require some type of prerequesits, such as secure
certificates. I'm under the opinion that  a <check> would return a
"no" and then set some type of reason, an <info> command could be used to
obtain the necessary prerequesits.

Ed Rahn
ItsYourDomain.com

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Edward Lewis wrote:

> At 4:28 PM -0400 9/25/01, Jordyn A. Buchanan wrote:
> >I agree with the approach outlined by Ed in general, but some thought
> >should go into whether or not "Maybe" should be an answer along with
> >"Yes" and "No.
>
> I say this with two things in mind:
> 1) Don't let a chair decision be the reason for a mistake.
> 2) As I don't do day-to-day registration activities, I try to remain a referee.
>
> What is the difference between "maybe" and "yes" with a qualifying
> statement (recognizing that there is an impact to an implemetation)?  Or,
> perhaps, "no" with a qualifier?  (E.g., the name is available for a cost of
> 10.000 Euros, but not for less.)
>
> Is there an example of a registration process that uses "maybe" as a return
> for a check command today, or a process that has "maybe" in its design?

> Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
> Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com
>
> You fly too often when ... the airport taxi is on speed-dial.
>
> Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list