To: "'Klaus Malorny'" <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:45:40 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Command Recovery

True, but the server doesn't know which key/identifier is one that the real
live person behind the contact may find easiest to use and remember, and we
do have a <check> facility in place to help determine what exists and what
doesn't.  Pluses and minuses both ways.  I know we've been over this issue
with ROIDs, handles, and the like, so I won't beat it any more.

>> 1. Add a status command that checks to see if a particular
client-provided
>> transaction identifier has been logged as part of a successful command.
>> With client TRIDs being OPTIONAL [1] this won't work if the client
doesn't
>> provide a TRID, but it can help if they do.  Or,
>>
>> 2. Add client TRID information to the <info> response for an object.  If
we
>> log the TRID of the last write operation (if one is provided), clients
can
>> do an <info> command, look at the client TRID, see if it's one they
>> recognize, and react accordingly.
>>
>> Is one preferable over the other?  I kind of like the second option
because
>> it fits into what's documented right now.  Does anyone else have an
opinion?

>Solution 1 is a more generic approach, while solution 2 is obviously easier
>implement on server side. I discussed this with Thomas and we both think
that
>we would prefer solution 1.

OK, that's one position, thanks for weighing in.  I would _really_ like to
hear what others think as well since adding a new command is a fairly
significant step.

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list