To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
CC: "'Thomas Corte'" <Thomas.Corte@knipp.de>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:45:41 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: interpretation of 'EPP idempotency'

Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

>I can't speak directly to .info's implementation, but it sounds a little kludgy as you describe it.

Yes, that does break the idempotency of the protocol, doesn't it?  I
can't specifically speak for the reasons of using EPP for sunrise and
landrush registrations of .info domains, but the side effects were
great.  We were able to test our implementation of an EPP server and see
its performance in a live environment under high loads.  It also helped
us avoid the situation where the registrars had to develop two different
interfaces to the .info registry (i.e. batch file processing and then
real-time EPP).

I can't truly speak for Liberty/Afilias but I think their support team
is trying to be as accomodating as possible, given that everyone is
learning from this process.  If you encountered problems in registration
of domains, you should give their tech support team a call and they
might be able to check up on transactions for you to verify the number
of times a domain has been submitted by your registrar.

I believe that they are closing the landrush queue by the end of this
week, so this "un-idempotent" period will be over soon.

>As things are written in the specs, you should
>NOT be able to <create> an object more than once and receive a "success"
>response.  If you do a <create>, get back "success", do another <create>,
>and then get back another "success", the <create> command isn't idempotent.
>Executing the command multiple times doesn't produce the same state as
>executing the command once.
>
>EPP _is_ designed to handle special needs via the extension mechanism; it
>could be that .info was under time pressure to go ahead with an earlier
>version of the specs in which some of the extension possibilities weren't
>fully developed, or maybe the method as you described it was just seen as
>the easiest way to solve an immediate problem, even if it means <create> is
>no longer idempotent.  As you noted, when the command isn't idempotent there
>are issues to be dealt with -- and I'll be the first to admit that the
>protocol wasn't designed to deal with commands that aren't idempotent.
>
>>Why shouldn't EPP get an idempotency mechanism which is independent of
>>specific object or command semantics?
>>

>Because idempotency isn't a mechanism, it's a property -- it's an integral
>part of the way commands or transactions are structured to provide the
>property of being idempotent.
>
><Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list