To: "'asbjorn.rrp@theglobalname.org'" <asbjorn.rrp@theglobalname.org>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 13:41:01 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Length of address fields (Re: EPP To-Do List)

Asbjorn,

The 30-character limit is there because it conforms to an existing postal
addressing standard for paper labels, which I don't have handy at the
moment.  I tried to find some kind of international standard, and that was
the best I found, though I'll admit it's not necessarily the most
appropriate one to follow.

This did come up on the list in the past, but as I look through the archives
I can't seem to find the appropriate message(s).  No matter, I don't mind
increasing the length, even doubling it, if that's what others think we
should do.

Any objections?  Would 64 (a power of two) characters allow some
implementation efficiencies?

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list