To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@akamai.com>
cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, XML Distributed Applications List <xml-dist-app@w3.org>, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:45:30 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: PROVREG and XML Protocol

Mark,

By way of background, while at Engage and participating in the CPExchange
privacy working group, the anticeedent(s) to the current W3C XML Protocol
(rpc-like thingee) was the subject of some discussion in the CPExchange
list, and more so in the ebXML lists.

The core of the provisioning model is some objects, some operations on them,
and some possibly distinct entities with mediated or shared access to these
operations on theses objects. Transport is necessary, if the entities are in
fact distinct. HTTP is one of several possible transports. XML is nice, but
not necessary.

I know some people consider the application (of epp) is the registration of
domain names, I used to be one, but there are two data types (names, addrs)
and two name spaces (gTLD, ccTLD), and two name types (TLD, xLD), two registry
types (monolithic, disjoint registrar), and two registry models (thick, thin),
and possibly two turtle doves as well.

I will read the  SOAP 1.2 working draft [12], and generate feedback to the
xml-dist-app@w3.org list, in my copious fee time.

I'm glad you came to provreg.

Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list