To: Sheer El-Showk <sheer@saraf.com>
cc: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, jaap@sidn.nl, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 04:10:54 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Meeting straw poll

Sheer,

>                                                                 ... relies
> on beep as the session layer makes it a poor candidate for me (I don't
> think we can adopt a protcol that only supports beep).

There is at least one technical comment in this - a single transport map.
There may be a second one concerning the sessions mechanism, but I'd like
to be sure before attempting to respond.

>               ... the parrallel but only if they addressed sufficienty
> different problem domains ...

So, the transport mapping. One, several, or one per <what>?

Both multicast and unicast ... cast. Do they address sufficiently different
problem domains? That just to get the juices flowing.

The existence of a control and two or more (256 to be exhaustive) data
channels per connection allows one tcp connection to connect two end
points with two or more administrative roles, e.g., a single operator
node offering access to two or more registries, and a single registrar
node offering access to the same registries. Several gTLD operators now
or may also be ccTLD operators, and presumably different polices apply
to each registry, but no technical requirements necessitate protocol,
transport, port, or even connection level isolation of one repository
from another. The operations over these two channels are asychronous.

The existence of a control and two or more (256 to be exhaustive) data
"channels" per connection allows one tcp connection to connect two end
points with two or more functional roles, e.g., an add and a delete op
for distinct objects undertaken asychronously. An exhaustive example
we see frequently is <check> for variation of name. One can run 255
instances of <check> asychronously, as opposed to 255 instances sequentially.

This note I hope motivates reading rfc3080 and rfc3081, and the draft
available at http://nic-naa.net/draft-brunner-xrp-01.txt, at least the
section on BEEP, or better still, the pending pre-ID version of the
draft, draft-ietf-provreg-epp-beep-00.txt, which I'll get out in about
a week. There are _lots_ of things a profiled, striped, set of paths that
share end-points can do, that a single path can't, or can't do easily.

I haven't addressed the aspect of authentication, another significant
distinction.

This gets us towards the <what> of the "one per <what>" view of transport
maps, and your view was also expressed by Dave at the meeting. One view
holds that connection == what, another view holds that asychronous !=
synchronous, multiplex != uniplex, confidentiality + authentication !=
confidentiality ... hence connection != what.

Personally I look forward to transport mappings for smtp (connectionless),
http (1.0 c-less, 1.1 c-full, or cookie session provisioned), and for file
system(s) (nfs/udp and afs/tcp).

Enjoy the weekend.
Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list