To: Sheer El-Showk <sheer@saraf.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@register.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 19:23:56 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: host transfers

At 12:22 PM -0400 8/7/01, Sheer El-Showk wrote:
>First, hosts MUST be transferable, even if subordinate hosts are implicitly
>transfered with their parent domain.  The reason for this is registered
>nameservers from another TLD.  If I were to register ns1.sheer.ma at Versign's
>registry through one registrar I need to be able to transfer it to another
>registrar if I want to stop using my original registrar.  Even though no IP
>addresses are kept for the host, it has associated domain relations that are
>preserved even when the hostname is changed.  Thus the host is an actual
>registry entity, not just a placeholder for an external system (ie its
>relevant because I can change ns1.sheer.ma to ns2.sheer.ma and all domains
>using it should automatically be switched over to the new name).  This
>suggests the need for an authinfo field in the host as well.

This is a very good point that I had not thought about at all.  This
also raises the issue of authentication at the time of registration
for nameservers outside of the domain, no?  (How do we know that the
registrar putting ns1.example.com into the .foo registry really
controls example.com?)

Jordyn

Home | Date list | Subject list