To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org
From: Shane Kerr <shane@ripe.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:55:28 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: IETF-51 WhoisFix BoF Announcement

On 2001-07-31 14:46:40 -0400, Ross Wm. Rader wrote:

> Correct me if my recollection is wrong, but the last go-round of this
> was severely bogged down by a focus on the protocol specified in RFC
> 954 when in fact the discussion was more suited to the concepts and
> facilities presented in 1580 (starting on page 38). Is it the intent
> to focus on the latter than the former this time around?

Hmm... I wouldn't necessarily have a problem focusing on the *concepts*
behind 1580, but the *details* have mostly changed, I think.  Does
anyone run a mail Whois server these days?  ;)

> While I couldn't agree more that changes are due, it strikes me that
> updating 954 may prove to be next to impossible because of the hidden
> install base...

I wonder, would it make sense to consider putting together a survey of
Whois (and similar) servers and clients, to get a feel for what Whois
really means these days?  It would be nice to know how it is actually
used, so we don't spend too much time scratching our heads.

If people consider this a good idea, I can go ahead and present a brief
summary of what I think should be in such a document.

> Sorry if this is off-topic for this list - I won't be in London to
> speak my piece...

This seems totally on-topic to me!  At least, for the Whois BOF.  Should
we take the ProvReg WG off of the recipient list?

--
Shane

Home | Date list | Subject list