To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:47:48 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Data Collection Requirements

Just to give this topic a bit of a kick start before IETF 51...

I personally agree with Scott's suggested updates to the requirement:

A generic protocol MUST provide services to identify social data use
preferences.

In terms of web sites, because of the wide array of web services and
data requirements, P3P and the opposite requirement wording are more
appropriate.  But with registries and the limited social data, EPP could
define a configurable set of policies.  Each registry could set defaults
or unchangeable settings based on contract agreements.  Registrars would
be told of the settings (via contracts and published policies of the
regsitry) and could attempt to set global preferences on login (maybe
with the login command or a separate command).  For the sake of
completeness, there could be a preference:info command.  Each contact
would also have privacy preferences attached because each registrant
might have different privacy needs (either via personal comfort level or
geographical region, etc...).

I just don't think that social data privacy with EPP registries should
be a big black cloud that P3P could make it.  There's limited data and
controlled audiences (registry/registrars) involved so the policies
surround that should be simple.

Dan

Home | Date list | Subject list