To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:46:10 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Date-time Representations

I just found text in the EPP drafts that incorrectly describes how date-time
values may be represented.  The current text:

"Both extended and truncated date and time forms defined in [ISO8601] MAY be
used, though a server SHOULD use one form or the other consistently."

Prompted by a last call reminder on the IMPP mailing list I took another
look at ISO 8601 and the XML Schema specs and found that XML Schema
specifically requires use of the extended date-time form [1].  What this
really means is that separators are REQUIRED between the various fields in
the date-time value such that this representation is valid:

2002-06-08T22:00:00.0Z

and this one is invalid:

20020608T220000.0Z

I'll change the text in the next edition of the drafts to note this
requirement:

"The extended date-time form defined in [ISO8601] MUST be used to represent
date-time values.

<Scott/>

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime

Home | Date list | Subject list