To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Bason, Chris" <cbason@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:02:44 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Poll response data

Sheer,

The timestamp indicating when a message is queued
is definitely relevant. Although, I don't see how a
timestamp indicating when the "last" message is queued
will help.

You can't store the timestamp of the "last" message
queued in the actual message being queued. The reason
is that when you queue a message it IS the last message
being queued and therefore the message queued timestamp
and the "last" message queued timestamp would be the same.
When the current message is dequeued from the queue, if
you want to send in the message the "last" message queued
timestamp, you would need to query the queue for the most
recently queued message to determine when it was queued.
You can't just send the message.

Additionally, as soon as you send the message, the "last" message
queued timestamp is obsolete. A message could be queued immediately
after a message has been sent that obsoletes it and therefore
makes the "last" message timestamp useless.

Chris Bason