To: George Belotsky <george@register.com>
cc: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 17:07:16 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: A Comment on 9. [1] of the requirements document.

Am I correct in understanding that the issue before this WG is master file
character encodings? There are other datums in master files than names, so
the LDH restriction on ASCII code points used in A records isn't mooted by
citing the total scope of master file ASCII values, or the quoting mechanism
for master files (unless it is also a quoting mechanism for strings we have
associated with A records).

Amusing aside, when French redaction of the "ou" sound common in Abenaki
began, circa 1600, French lacked a "w", and to write "ou", the Jesuits
wrote "8" (small gap at the apex of the upper loop), which is still used
in Abenaki today. The case folding rule for "8" is that 8 == 8. We don't
have a case folding rule for 7 or 9, yet ;-)

Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list