To: "'Klaus Malorny'" <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:23:20 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Issues on 3.4.9 Object Information Query

I still don't get it.  As far as I know DNS machines do not have any trouble
understanding that "ns.z.com" and "z.com" are related.

>With "reverse references" I mean the ability to detected the uses of a
certain
>object. In the given example, the service would report "NS.Y.DE" and
"X.COM"
>as objects referencing contact "D". Similar to that, a request to domain
>"Z.COM" would report "NS.Z.COM". This function is important to detect
>"orphaned" objects or to analyse a failed deletion request.
>
>Implicit references are important to be reported if the outcome of
operations
>depends on it. If the domain "Z.COM" can be removed while keeping the name
>server "NS.Z.COM" in the database, I don't have any problems if the
reference
>is not reported -- but not in the case that it can't be removed.

OK, now I think I understand, and I think this is something that the WG
needs to chew on for a bit because it gets close to a topic that I raised in
the protocol design team report: does it make sense for a provisioning
protocol to provide abstract relationship reporting services?

I submit that it's not a good idea for a _provisioning_ protocol to provide
a query service to (as an example) list all of the domains delegated to a
particular name server, or all of the domains for which I happen to be a
contact.  We already have requirements to identify object associations
(3.4.9-[1], for example, says that contacts and subordinate "child" name
servers have to be reported when retrieving information about a domain).

BTW (and I hate to open this can of worms), there is no current requirement
to associate contact information with name servers.

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list