To: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Peter Eisenhauer <eisenhauer@schlund.de>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 15:55:52 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

There is no need to register *all* name servers with ip addresses.
e.g. think of a registry for .tld with 2 Domains:

foo.tld with name servers ns1.foo.tld and ns2.foo.tld -- these name servers
MUST be registered with ip addresses in the registry.

bar.tld with nameservers ns3.foo.tld, ns4.foo.tld -- there is no need that
the ip addresses of these name servers must be in the *registry*.

In this model ip addresses for name servers in the registry are only needed for
"real" glue records.

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 06:43:49AM -0700, Bill Manning wrote:
> %
> % draft-ietf-provreg-grrp-reqs-01.txt:
> %  "Name servers registered within the registry's authoritative TLDs MUST
> %  be registered with a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address."
> %
> % I think this should be registry policy, not protocol requirement.
> % There are models in which IPs are not needed for *all* name servers inside the
> % registry. The "MUST" excludes these solutions.
> %
>
> I am intriged. Please elaborate one model where an IP is not needed for a
> nameserver.
>
> --
> --bill

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Peter Eisenhauer

--
Peter Eisenhauer                        Schlund + Partner AG
Erbprinzenstrasse 4-12                  Tel: 0721/91374-0

Home | Date list | Subject list