To: "Scott Rose" <scottr@antd.nist.gov>
cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:04:00 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: confidentiality and transfers

> I use the term "confidentiality" to mean "encryption of messages in transit",
> since "privacy" means different things to different people and it is hard to
> determine what "we need privacy" means today.

As a general practice, it would be helpful if people wrote exactly what they
mean, e.g., "encryption of messages in transit", or announcement of data
collection practices, rather than "security" or "privacy" or "apple pie".

>                              ... Would registrars need to authenticate
> themselves before requesting an object transfer?

Only if they wanted the regisTRY to perform the requested operation.

Home | Date list | Subject list