To: george@register.com (George Belotsky)
Cc: shollenbeck@verisign.com (Hollenbeck Scott), paf@cisco.com ('Patrik Fältström'), ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 14:37:37 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

% This once again gets back to what the handle is for.  To illustrate, I
% have listed three basic variants below.
%
%          (1) Handles are used to search for objects.
%          (2) Handles are used to quickly look up objects, regardless of
%              their location.
%          (3) Handles are used only to request operations on objects whose
%              location is already known.
%
%
% Variant (1) is the most difficult to implement -- especially if wildcards
% and boolean searches are used.  These kinds of operations are
% typically done on documents -- a handle would have to be huge to
% contain enough meaningful information.  A large, centralized database
% with a complex search engine is required for this kind of operation.

But I already know my handle, so when searching for it, I
want to get composites that have used my atomic handle.

but you are correct, hashing is useful here, esp if I want to:

	grep *WM110* <all known/visable composite handles>

--
--bill

Home | Date list | Subject list