To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: "'Patrik Fältström'" <paf@cisco.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: George Belotsky <george@register.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:27:01 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

An opaque identifier has plenty of uses (and provides some security,
too).

A vehicle license plate, for example, provides identification even if
you know nothing about its format.  With sufficient authorization, you
can get answers to queries such as 'who does this vehicle belong to',
etc.

Opaque identifiers have many uses, and are in fact frequently used.
We just have to determine if such identifiers meet our requirements.
If they do, then there are great advantages in using them -- most
prominently the elimination of the need to maintain a registry of
handles (or parts thereof).

George.

--
George Belotsky