To: paf@cisco.com (Patrik Fältström)
Cc: george@register.com (George Belotsky), shollenbeck@verisign.com (Hollenbeck Scott), ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:53:35 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

% I think you make life much too complicated.
% It is much easier if you use an algorithm which
%
% (a) Divides the world in a number of registries. One can be a RIR,
% another a TLD.

	Is KTH a registry?
	Cisco?
	Patrick?
	.NATO

how about:
a) divide the world into a number of object classes.

% (b) All registries get a unique identifier, and that is registered somewhere.

b) each object within a class gets a unique identifier, and that is registered
   somewhere. One object class will be a registry.

% (c) Each registry is responsible for assigning a unique local
% identifier for each object.
% (d) The globally unique identifier is a concatenation of the two.
% (e) One might be able to create a URN scheme for this space of identifiers
%
% This is what happens today (part from at VGRS and ARIN), and it
% works. You don't have to come up with some rules for how a registry
% works, and creates the identifier. That is up to them.
%
% A registry might go away, but if that happens, I claim that all
% records are moved together to a different organization, but the
% registry stay atomic.
%
% A registry might be split (something which will happen soon I think)
% and this is the tricky part. One record might stay, and another might
% be moved. This can be achieved by deleting records which are moved,
% and creation of new ones in the new registry.
%
% Note that splitting a registry is a very rare operation, and I am
% prepared getting some trouble when that one-time-operation happens.
%
%      paf
%

--