To: "'George Belotsky'" <george@register.com>, 'Patrik Fältström' <paf@cisco.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:50:29 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Unique handle generation

[snip]

> > [4] An object identifier MUST contain information that unambiguously
> > identifies both the object and the object's administrative
> repository at
> > time of creation.
>
>   We should probably reduce the scope of this one.  How about
> the version
>   below?
>
>   An object identifier MUST contain information that unambiguously
>   identifies the object.

The text that's there was originally suggested by Patrik.  Patrik, are you
OK with George's suggested change?

> > [5] Object identifier format SHOULD be easily parsed and
> understood by
> > humans.
>
>   Some scope reduction here, too.
>
>   [5] Object identifier SHOULD have an opaque, fixed length format
>       (e.g. 128 bit digest).

I don't like this one.  For one I think it conflicts with what you've
suggested for [6] (how is an opaque digest easily parsed and understood by
humans?), and secondly it introduces a formatting suggestion when you just
suggested that we remove a different formatting suggestion from [4].  If you
want to reduce the scope of [4] by removing mention of one format, why
should we introduce a different format?

>   [6] An identifier that is easily parsed and understood by
> humans, and
>       is equivalent to the identifier in [5], MUST be made
> available to
>       the object's owner at the time of object creation.

I don't like the word "owner" here, though I think I understand what you're
getting at.  How about this instead:

[x] The format of an object identifier SHOULD be easily parsed and
understood by humans.

[y] An object's identifier MUST be generated and returned as part of the
protocol response when an object is created.

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list