To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: George Belotsky <george@register.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:03:57 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 02:26:18PM -0500, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
> Back to requirements...
>
> Are there any objections to these, with number 4 amended as suggested by
> Paul George:
>
> [1] Every object MUST have an associated object identifier.
>
> [2] Object identifiers MUST be globally unique.
>
> [3] An object's identifier MUST NOT change during the lifetime of the
> object, even if administrative control of the object changes over time.
>
> [4] An object identifier MUST contain information that unambiguously
> identifies both the object and the object's administrative repository at
> time of creation.

  We should probably reduce the scope of this one.  How about the version
  below?

  An object identifier MUST contain information that unambiguously
  identifies the object.

> [5] Object identifier format SHOULD be easily parsed and understood by
> humans.

  Some scope reduction here, too.

  [5] Object identifier SHOULD have an opaque, fixed length format
      (e.g. 128 bit digest).

  [6] An identifier that is easily parsed and understood by humans, and
      is equivalent to the identifier in [5], MUST be made available to
      the object's owner at the time of object creation.

> <Scott/>

George.

George Belotsky
Senior Software Architect