To: "Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine" <brunner@nic-naa.net>, <geva@bbn.com>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Peter Mott" <peter@2day.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 11:06:05 +1300
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: grrp-reqs-06, 3.2 Object Registration [2]

> The temporal properties of domain name object registration needs
> clarification.
> The -06 text in [2] originates from a proposal by Geva Patz [1]
> who sought to
> remove arbitrary restrictions, as domain names then (circa -03)
> had fixed time
> associations.

There will be some ccTLD's whose interest in storing the registration
expiration date in the shared register is simply to publish the fact a
registrar/registrant contract is due to expire on that day/hour.

In such a model, the registry will charge the registrar for access to the
register, and a fee that relates to the number of records associated with
the registrar.

This sensible model has the registry send a two line invoice to each
registrar every month, and registrars pay a single bill each month.

Please do build as much complexity into the protocol you like, but lets make
sure it can also function without the need for the registry company to have
an interest in the domain name registration business.  There is a
possibility some registry operators have an interest in providing services
that meet the needs of registrars rather than acting as a bus conductor with
a very busy ticket clicker.

> Comments on the backs of $5 bills (larger is OK, but a minimum granularity
> is required). Thanks.

Sorry, I only pay by credit card on the net :-)

Peter Mott
.aq .tk .pn
-/-

Home | Date list | Subject list