To: Sheer El-Showk <sheer@saraf.com>
Cc: "Brian W. Spolarich" <briansp@walid.com>, James Seng/Personal <James@Seng.cc>, Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:32:10 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: draft-hollenbeck-grrp-reqs-06 [Was Re: Interim Meeting]

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 10:17:38AM -0500, Sheer El-Showk took time to write:
> posting.  What he was complaining about was that the authority to register
> a nameserver under a domain resided with the Registrar which held the
> domain, not the registrant.  As a registrant I may register domain D1 with

Like the authority to change nameservers of a domain resides with
(through) the Registrar used to register the domain name.

> registrar R1, but want to register nameserver N1 within D1 (this is an
> important distinction -- the domain of nameservers for a particular
> domain is not restricted, eg foobar.com can have ns1.foobar.tv as its
> nameserver, but any nameservers being registered _within_ a domain
> must be registered by the source of authority for the domain -- the
> registrant or the registrar, eg only the owner of foobar.com should be
> able to register the nameserver ns1.foobar.com as a nameserver) with

That is exactly what needs to be done, I agree.

> registrar R2.  James was saying that there should be some kind of token of
> authority (a PGP key?? ;->) that allows me as a registrant to do
> authoritative things for my domain (like register a nameserver under
> it) through any registrar, not just the one with which I registered the
> domain.

I do not understand why here we try to let the registrant do things
wirthout going through a Registrar. Why make the registration of
nameserver a different case ?

The same problem exist in other part : like for contacts in the thick
registry. How do you handle them ? Someone register a contact through
a given Registrar. To help avoid the actual handle problems (each
different for a Registrar), they should be unique. Who can change
them ? Through wich Registrar ?

> If it is, then I am definately in agreement with the general sentiment.  I
> don't think we should leave domain name authority in the hands of the
> registrars ... that's an implementation issue (ie per registry) and

Other than that I really welcome a global setup where registrant
could make changes directly, without going through a Registrar, or
using whatever Registrar they want. But if you go that route, you must
consider all cases (change of ownership, change of contacts, change
of Registar, change of nameservers, etc...).
It seems to me a difficult case, but really interesting.

However going that way can really fast lead to this question : what
purpose has the Registrar if a Registrant can do anything he wants
directly to the Registry without using a Registrar ? Or by choosing
any Registrar to do modifications by himself.

Would RRP (or its successor) be also a RegisTRANT-RegisTRY protocol ?

Regards,

Patrick.

Home | Date list | Subject list