To: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Cc: James Seng/Personal <James@Seng.cc>, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>, Karl Auerbach <karl@CaveBear.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org
From: George Belotsky <george@register.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:11:58 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

It very important to keep in mind that a _protocol_ is being created
here.

A protocol's usefulness and longevity is dependent on how it adapts to
future situations.  Just solving today's immediate problem is not
enough.

Even with the assumption that everyone agrees to adopt the new
protocol, the 'nightmare' scenario will nevertheless occur if
multiple other protocols have to be developed to support the operation
of the registered object repositories.

There is a need to provide a consistent interface for registering,
maintaining and viewing various entities.  It is a historical accident
that domain names are the first entity that requires this.  We are
indeed fortunate that many decisions about future uses do not need to
be made right away.  It is vital, however, that some thought be given
to extensibility now, if the resulting protocol is to have longevity.

There can be little doubt that a unified entity registration, view,
search, etc. layer will eventually emerge.  This layer will handle
domain name registration, whois-like lookups, registration of other
objects, etc.  The alternative is a different protocol for
registration of each object type , and a different protocol for
whois-like lookups of objects of each type, etc., etc.  Clearly a
nightmare -- and enough people will eventually wake up.

Our choice today is whether the protocol being developed here can
evolve into the unified layer described above.  If it can, then indeed
this group will have done a great service to the Internet community.
If it cannot, then we will all have to suffer yet another painful
round of fragmentation, incompatibility, obsolescence and
deprecation.

--
George Belotsky

Home | Date list | Subject list