To: "'Jordyn A. Buchanan'" <jordyn@register.com>, "'Jaap Akkerhuis'" <jaap@sidn.nl>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:37:17 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: comments on your grrp-reqs-05.txt (second try)

Thanks for the comments, Jordyn.  Based on earlier comments regarding
transaction identifiers I agree that we need to change the requirements
somewhat, but in a way that's slightly different than what you've proposed.
I'll explain below.

<Scott/>

I don't think "user-friendly" is an issue because they'll be needed by users
_only_ when they wish to transfer a domain.  If they happen to lose track of
the identifier it should be very easy to recover it from both registry and
registrar on demand.

> More generally, I think specific mechanisms for
> authenticating the transfer
> of objects between registrars is a matter of registry policy
> that will vary
> widely.  The section on transfers should include a
> requirement that the
> protocol allow the registrar requesting the transfer to pass
> in information
> to authenticate the transfer, but not get into specifics
> about what that
> information should be.  (It could be a transaction ID, or a digitial
> certificate, or something as mundane as a password.)

I agree from the requirements perspective; we can save the debate on how
this should work for the protocol discussion.

> As a final note on this topic, I think that requiring the
> transaction ID to
> approve or cancel the transfer is unnecessary.  The protocol
> should be able
> to validate whether or not a request comes from an
> appropriate registrar
> without this information.  (Basically, the registrar has already
> authenticated themselves--we should be able to determine that
> the "cancel
> that transfer" comamnd comes from the right place in the same
> way that we
> determine that the "delete that domain" command does.)

Thinking ahead to protocol I think it's simpler and cleaner if transfer
command syntax remains consistent, but since this does get into the
mechanics of _how_ transfers operate I think we can strike the text that
describes this as a requirement.

> Staying on the topic of transaction IDs, but moving on to a
> new issue, I
> think that in many circumstances it is not necessary for the
> registrar to
> pass a transaction ID to the registry.  This should be
> optional:  if a
> registrar passes in a transaction ID, the registry should use
> it, but if
> the registrar does not, the registry will generate a unique
> ID and return
> it once the transaction is complete.  (I'll even concede that
> I can see
> circumstances when we'd want the transaction ID to be
> required, but I can
> also see circumstances when the registrar can simply wait and
> use whatever
> the registry gives them.)

I believe this topic would be more appropriate to tackle when we talk
protocol.  For now, I think it better if we use words like this to identify
the need for transaction identifiers (this came up in an earlier discussion
regarding section 3.3):

"[1] Registry operations that create, update, or delete objects MUST be
associated with a registry-unique identifier.  The protocol MUST allow each
transaction to be identified in a permanent and globally unique manner."

This describes _what_ the protocol has to do without making any statements
about _how_ it should be done.

[snip]

> > > 3.4.[6] contact information
> > >
> > > I have the feeling that the required contact information might be
> > > too detailed in certain cases. If the registry/registrar relation
> > > is very thin it is possible that just information over
> the registrar
> > > might be sufficient. (But then one can argues thses also have a
> > > name, address etc. so it won't hurt.
> >
> >True, but the protocol has to support both thick and thin
> models.  It's
> >important to distinguish between what the protocol has to do
> to support
> >multiple models, and how each registry may use the protocol.
>  Section 2.4
> >says that an underlying assumption is that a registry may choose to
> >implement a subset of the required protocol features, and
> this is one area
> >where I think registries will choose to do things
> differently based on local
> >policies.
>
> While I agree with Scott's statement above, I think that
> right now the
> requirements are too strict.  Different registries may have different
> notions about what information is required for a contact and what is
> optional.  I suggest we require the protocol handle all of
> the various bits
> of information, but not require which ones need to be filled out.

OK, this could be as simple as changing a MUST to a MAY in 3.4-[6] as you
noted.

[snip]

> Okay, that's it for now.  Specific changes to language are below.
>
> ---
>
> 3.3 [1] Registry operations that create, update, or delete
> objects MUST be
> associated with a registry-unique transaction identifier.
> This identifier
> MAY be provided by the registrar, in which case the same
> identifier MUST be
> returned by the registry.  In the event that the registrar
> does not provide
> the identifier, the registry MUST generate and return a new
> transaction
> identifier.
>
> 3.4 [3] A request to register an object MAY include a transaction
> identifier. If the registrar includes a transaction
> identifier with the
> request, this identifier MUST be returned to the registrar.  If the
> registrar does not include the identifier, the registry must
> generate and
> return a new transaction identifier upon the successful
> registration of the
> object.

Both of these requirements have already been changed to remove any mention
of _how_ the identifier should be created or used.

> 3.4 [6] The protocol MUST provide services to register
> contact information
> describing human and organizational entities. Contact
> registration MUST NOT
> be limited to a specific period of time. Contact registration
> MAY include a
> name (individual name, organization name, or both), address
> (including
> street address, city, state or province (if applicable),
> postal code, and
> country), telephone number, facsimile telephone number, and
> e-mail address.

Got it.

> 3.7 [4] The protocol MUST provide services that allows the registrar
> initiating the transfer to pass information which authenticates the
> transfer to the registry.
>
> 3.7 [6] The protocol MUST provide services that allow the requesting
> registrar to cancel a requested object transfer before the
> request has been
> approved or rejected by the original sponsoring registrar.
> Requests to
> cancel the transfer of registered objects MUST be limited to
> the registrar
> that requested transfer of the registered object.
> Unauthorized attempts to
> cancel the transfer of a registered object MUST be explicitly
> rejected.
>
> 3.7 [7] The protocol MUST provide services that allow the original
> sponsoring registrar to approve or reject a requested object
> transfer.
> Requests to approve or reject the transfer of registered
> objects MUST be
> limited to the registrar that currently sponsors the
> registered object.
> Unauthorized attempts to approve or reject the transfer of a
> registered
> object MUST be explicitly rejected.

I'm OK with these changes, too.

> 3.7 [9] The protocol MUST support a configurable period
> during which time a
> request to transfer the registration of an object MAY be approved,
> rejected, or cancelled.

We earlier discussed bagging this requirement completely because it
describes registry implementation detail.  I'd prefer to delete it than
reword it.

Home | Date list | Subject list