To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Marcel Schneider <schneider@switch.ch>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 17:55:06 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Charter last call summary

On Tuesday, 9 Jan 2001, Edward Lewis writes:

I also like the charter as it is with a minor exception: it
only speaks of registrars. Suggestion:

"...versus "front-end" support services by *entities*
who interact with registrants and with the registry,
*subsequently called 'registrars'*.

The reason is that for smart registries (those performing
policy checking and usually billing) the registrar is
more of an agent. The agent simply acts on behalf of
the registrant (the registrant could do it himself, like
when you order someone to buy a house for you: you pay
for just that service, the contract terminates afterwards),
a registrar does a job for you that may never end and
that you may not have been able to perform yourself.

In contracual law different types of contracts apply
for the two functions.

Marcel