To: "Olivier Guillard" <Olivier.Guillard@nic.fr>
Cc: "Annie Renard" <Annie.Renard@nic.fr>, <budi@alliance.globalnetlink.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Peter Mott" <peter@2day.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:25:51 +1300
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Definition of Registry

> > > We have different views of the world.  Through my eyes I see
> domain name
> > > registration  being the execution of a legal contract between
> the registrar
> > > and the registrant.  The public record of that contract is
> the insertion of
> > > the name into the registry database.
>

> To clarify the issues, could you please precise what you call "registry
> database"?

The registry database or register is the central repository from which zone
files are published. It is administered by the registry operator under
contract from the TLD manager.

> The registrant consideration is surely an important issue, but it
> might not
> be the only one, especially for a ccTLD zone.

I agree.  It is important to have an independant entity to define what must
be part of the registrar - registrant contract and what perhaps must not.
Many folk think this a registry role.  I have come to the conclusion after
studing the various roles and relationships that the TLD manager is the
entity to set such requirements.

In most situations I would see the TLD manager as being a not for profit
organisation owned by members who represent the community of interest for
the namespace in question.

The registry operator can then focus on its core business, that of enabling
registrars accredited by the TLD manager to enter into registration
contracts with registrants, and record such contracts in the register.

> The .fr registry is one of the first that has distinguished the databases
> maintaining from the furniture of services linked to domainames! At that
> time NSI was selling domainnames and maintaning the . , .com,
> .net and .org
> db :)

I would prefer to see the central register containing only those elements of
data that are required to allow shared access by competing registrars.
Whilst it is possible (indeed likely) for the TLD manager to require
additional attributes, as soon as you start adding them issues such as data
ownership and commercial value come into play.  If you keep the value of the
data in the shared registry as low as possible, this minimises opportunity
for capture and also keeps cost of maintaining it down.

> The .fr zone is a ressource that is aimed to serve and promote a
> particular
> comunity designated by those two letters. It's essential for us
> to distinguish
> the commercial function (domain name sale) from the political one (charter
> and usage referential writting).

Sure, the TLD manager can set whatever requirements by way of contract with
accredited registrars.  But remember for the TLD to be successful (have a
good selection of registrars for registrants to choose from) then the
requirements have to be acceptable to the registrar community as well as the
registrant community.

> What do you mean exactly by "accreditated entity". On which criteriums,
> defined by who and by which process do you feel the accreditation should
> happen?

The TLD manager would determine the requirements for becoming a registrar.
The accreditation criteria should address the needs of the community of
interest the TLD serves.

> We don't try to prescribe to anyone what he has to do, we just think that
> the .fr internet zone should grow with the respect of a "charter".

I endorse such an approach.  As long as the charter is an accurate
reflection of the community of interest rather than a top level view of what
one or two folk think the community needs :-)

> ".mu" has been delegated for the maurician island, have you ever
> been their? go to http://www.mu,

I am fairly sure IANA/Jon Postel did not have this approach in mind for a
TLD. Such business models are possible because RFC1591 has not evolved to
address issues that have appeared as commercial players get involved in the
Internet.

Thanks for your questions, hope I have answered a few :-)

Regards

Peter Mott
Chief Enthusiast
2day.com