To: dnssec@cafax.se
Cc: lewis@tislabs.com
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:45:25 -0400
Delivery-Date: Sun Sep 2 14:24:25 2001
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: CERTificates and public keys

First, this thread got a bit larger than it needed - there is (should be)
little debate about the relative flexibility of public key structures and
certificate structures (obviously because a public key is an important
ingrediant of a certificate).  There is also no reason to argue that DNS
(with or without DNSSEC) is in any way a PKI.

The original question was whether or not certificates made sense in
applications - and the one Wes and I had in mind was SSH (as a starter).
SSH has no current certificate processing code in it - that can be easily
overcome.  What is problematic is the lack of a PKI to produce certificates
for SSH - and the lack of a defined means of chaining trust through "SSH"
certificates.

My sense of this thread is that the debate of "public key versus
certificate" is one that cannot be generalized.  The issue is an
application-by-application problem.  I guess a future mental exercise is to
design a "PKI" (and I don't mean reimplement OpenSSL) infrastructure for
SSH.  (This would be off-topic for this list.)

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

You fly too often when ... the airport taxi is on speed-dial.

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list