To: Scott Rose <scottr@antd.nist.gov>
Cc: Wesley Griffin <wgriffin@tislabs.com>, DNSSEC <dnssec@cafax.se>
From: Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 22:59:28 +0200 (MEST)
Delivery-Date: Sun Jul 8 21:39:24 2001
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: SSH keys in DNS

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Scott Rose wrote:

> I would suggest against adding another field to the KEY record just to
> benifit a few protocols (version field).
>
> Assigning two separate protocol values would be somewhat better, but the
> idea of using a SRV like nameing scheme for KEY RRs sounds like a better
> path.  That way there would be a distinct name for each KEY record:
>
> _ssh1.example.com             and
> _ssh2.example.com

I agree - based on discussion on this mailing-list, Ed Lewis has proposed
that we allocate a protocol value that bascially says 'the protocol is
encoded in the owner name'. this would typically lead us to a SRV type
naming scheme and I think we also should include the transport (even if it
for ssh currently only is tcp that is used). e.g.

	_ssh._tcp.host.example.com. IN KEY ...

this will also give us something that looks like SRV-records, which I
believe is, as to ease understanding, a good thing. in addition to that
you might want to use different keys for different transports.

as I understand, use can use a ssh protocol v2 RSA key with v1 and vice
versa, the difference is what is it used for. I suggest we clarify this
with the secsh wg.

	jakob

--
Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se>                Network Analyst
Phone:  +46 31 701 42 13, +46 70 595 07 94   Carlstedt Research & Technology

Home | Date list | Subject list