To: Roy Arends <Roy.Arends@nominum.com>, Mark Kosters <markk@netsol.com>
Cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, dnssec@cafax.se
From: Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 15:48:45 -0400
Delivery-Date: Wed Jul 4 09:39:22 2001
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-opt-in-00.txt

At 10:08 AM 7/2/2001, Roy Arends wrote:
>On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Roy Arends wrote:
>
>In my opinion, it should be the NXT record itself rather than the KEY
>record to indicate how it should be interpreted.
>
>About the zero bit:
>
>rfc2535, section 5.2 mentions the zero bit.
>
>         The first bit represents RR type zero (an illegal type which
>         can not be present) and so will be zero in this format.  This format
>         is not used if there exists an RR with a type number greater than
>         127.  If the zero bit of the type bit map is a one, it indicates that
>         a different format is being used which will always be the case if a
>         type number greater than 127 is present.
>
>As stated, if the type bit zero is a one, it indicates a different format.
>The different format in this case is the opt-in format.

This bit is off limits to any use but to extend NXT to types with code > 127.
If you want to use a bit in NXT to define Opt-in there are few type codes
that I can pull out of the hat to do that from the low number bits (SINK,
MB, etc.) or we just reserve a new type code for this.

         Olafur

Home | Date list | Subject list