To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc: <dnssec@cafax.se>
From: Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 23:57:29 +0200 (MEST)
Delivery-Date: Fri May 11 07:38:35 2001
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Keys at apex problem - New PUBKEY RR?

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Randy Bush wrote:

> and this is why the problem has never been fixed.  we keep adding more
> rotten tomatoes to the overfilled can because there always seems to be room
> for one more tomato, and there are no other containers as easily abused.

I would say dns is very good at storing data that looks like, or could be
made to look like, a domain name. using dns for storing host keys (or any
keys that looks like a domain name) is not abusive. it's perhaps not the
dns that we're used to, but it is still dns.

with dnssec we have a secure, relative small and lightweight lookup
mechanism for things that looks like domain names - let's use it.

	jakob

--
Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se>                Network Analyst
Phone:  +46 31 701 42 13, +46 70 595 07 94   Carlstedt Research & Technology

Home | Date list | Subject list