To: dnssec@cafax.se
From: "Stephan Jager" <stephan@nlnetlabs.nl>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 14:07:11 +0200
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: SIG over KEY problem

In my previous email I wrote down 2 digs to show a problem.
I understand that this did not explain the problem very clearly,
so let me try again.

I'm writing a secure aware stub-resolver, which
- uses an arbitrary (untrusted) forwarder.
- checks top-down whether a zone is secured or not.
- checks up to the final SIG if so.

As an example, let's look up the MX for nlnetlabs.nl.nl.
We start at "nl.nl", which is a preconfigured secure
entry point in my stub-resolver.

Using an external nameserver as forwarder, I get as expected:
- the KEY for nlnetlabs.nl.nl
- the SIG from the nl.nl-KEY over the nlnetlabs.nl.nl-KEY
This is OK.

However, using a forwarder, which happens to be also
authoritive for nlnetlabs.nl.nl, I get:
- the KEY for nlnetlabs.nl.nl (this is OK)
- the SIG from the nlnetlabs.nl.nl-KEY over the
   nlnetlabs.nl.nl-KEY (the self-sig, which is useless for
   the resolver).

The question I now have is whether I should change the resolver
to explicitely choose anther forwarding server (apart from making
it much more complicated, it prohibids its use behind a firewall),
or whether the forwarder should be changed, or the protocol?

Stephan. (thanks Ted :)

Home | Date list | Subject list