To: Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se>
Cc: <Ted.Lindgreen@tednet.nl>, Dan Massey <masseyd@isi.edu>, <dnssec@cafax.se>
From: Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>
Date: 19 Apr 2001 16:03:48 +0200
Delivery-Date: Fri Apr 20 07:49:24 2001
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Keys at apex problem

Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se> writes:

> > I've written a draft to specify location of CERT RR's (which updates
> > RFC2538 owner name guideliness), and I looked for similar drafts on
> > KEY locations but didn't find any.
>
> I'm also writing on a draft specifying on the naming CERT RR's for
> PGP-keys, also an update to 2538. perhaps we should merge our work?

Oops.  Mine is focused on X.509 though.  You'll find a (temporary)
copy at http://josefsson.org/draft-josefsson-pkix-dns.txt.  I'll
submit it to the ID editor nowish.  (Note that this draft ignores the
problem discussed here.)

> > IMHO the simplest thing would be to say that KEY is only used for
> > DNSSEC internally, and other applications should use CERT (it's easy
> > to define a CERT SSH type), and the CERT standard should also be
> > separated from the DNSSEC standard because it really doesn't depend on
> > it.  Perhaps, I dunno.
>
> a key is not a cert as a cert is a different kind of animal. the key is
> just the raw key, nothing more.

Yes.  But given the option of a new PUBKEY RR and using CERT RR's for
unsigned public keys, I would chose the latter.  The CERT RR already
support non-certificate structures (CRLs), so this isn't such a far
fetched idea IMHO.

Home | Date list | Subject list