To: Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>
Cc: <Ted.Lindgreen@tednet.nl>, Dan Massey <masseyd@isi.edu>, <dnssec@cafax.se>
From: Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:48:43 +0200 (CEST)
Delivery-Date: Thu Apr 19 20:31:01 2001
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Keys at apex problem

On 19 Apr 2001, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Are there really any specs to specify location of KEY's for a host?

not really, but

> I've written a draft to specify location of CERT RR's (which updates
> RFC2538 owner name guideliness), and I looked for similar drafts on
> KEY locations but didn't find any.

I'm also writing on a draft specifying on the naming CERT RR's for
PGP-keys, also an update to 2538. perhaps we should merge our work?

> I think the location of a KEY record for a host has been simply
> assumed by everyone to be the DNS hostname.  Anything else would be
> weird, but this thread shows that the obvious solution has its
> problems as well.

it would be nice if the obvious solution worked.

> What would PUBKEY do that KEY can't do?  Three ways of doing roughly
> the same thing - KEY, CERT and PUBKEY - seems a little bit too much.

PUBKEY could separate DNSSEC infrastructural keys from applications keys.

> IMHO the simplest thing would be to say that KEY is only used for
> DNSSEC internally, and other applications should use CERT (it's easy
> to define a CERT SSH type), and the CERT standard should also be
> separated from the DNSSEC standard because it really doesn't depend on
> it.  Perhaps, I dunno.

a key is not a cert as a cert is a different kind of animal. the key is
just the raw key, nothing more.

/Jakob

--
Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se>                Network Analyst
Phone:  +46 31 701 42 13, +46 70 595 07 94   Carlstedt Research & Technology

Home | Date list | Subject list