To: Ted.Lindgreen@tednet.nl
Cc: Dan Massey <masseyd@isi.edu>, dnssec@cafax.se
From: Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>
Date: 18 Apr 2001 18:47:28 +0200
Delivery-Date: Thu Apr 19 20:30:50 2001
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Keys at apex problem

ted@tednet.nl (Ted Lindgreen) writes:

> > 3) The SSH keys shouldn't be present in the zone file.
> >        Replace SSH with IPSEC, SSL, etc, etc and you have the same problem.
> >        If the KEY record is only for zone keys, let's make the spec say that.
>
> This looks like a fundamental approach, but I'm not sure what changing
> the definition of a KEY RR in such a way would mean for further delays
> in implementing DNSSEC.

One solution that wouldn't require changing specifications nor
implementations, and would remove this problem, would be to mandate a
practice (both in the SSH DNSSEC-patches as well as with the zone file
administrators) to add ssh KEY RR's as "_ssh.host.example.org" or
something similar. E.g. inventing a subdomain where you store the ssh
key for a host.  Of course, it is ugly but I don't see any immediate
disadvantages and it does fix the problem we're discussing here.

Home | Date list | Subject list