To: Dan Massey <masseyd@isi.edu>
Cc: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, Olaf Kolkman <OKolkman@ripe.net>, <dnssec@cafax.se>
From: Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 20:48:16 +0200 (CEST)
Delivery-Date: Thu Apr 19 06:43:53 2001
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: lwresd, tsig, and caching

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Dan Massey wrote:

> To make this work in practice, the default should be to use whatever
> nameservers are in /etc/resolv.conf as forwarders.

this is already the default for BINDv9's lwresd.

> Also, these forwarders must authenticate the data before caching it.

why? I don't want them to authenticate the data, I want to do it myself so
I can decided what to trust.

> Do you also want to use this same approach for your desktop machine or
> does your desktop machine use option B (TSIG to your local nameserver)?
> I'm still leaning toward Option B for the desktop...

option A for the desktop. too many shared secrets with TSIG. TKEY could
perhaps be an option.

/Jakob

--
Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se>                Network Analyst
Phone:  +46 31 701 42 13, +46 70 595 07 94   Carlstedt Research & Technology

Home | Date list | Subject list