To: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
cc: dnssec@cafax.se
From: Olaf Kolkman <OKolkman@ripe.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:45:09 +0200
Delivery-Date: Wed Apr 18 08:08:16 2001
Sender: owner-dnssec@cafax.se
Subject: Re: lwresd, tsig, and caching

Ed wrote:
 * B
 *    app client<--------------->lwresd<------------->recursive server
 *                localhost                 TSIG     looks up and checks
 *                                                    crypto check here
(...)

 *
 * What about apps that want to be involved in the security of the DNS lookups
 * - they would like to display the security of the answer, or say, specify a
 * secured TSIG/server to use inspite of configured servers.  (As could be the
 * case with the IETF terminal room & DHCP.)

My $0.02

During the IETF I would not trust a TSIG that is shared with 2k
users. I would prefer to use a SIG(0) with my local only configured
with the "public IETF resolver key" that is distributed via a off-band
mechanism.

So this is another variety:

    app client<--------------->lwresd<------------->recursive server
                localhost                 SIG(0)     looks up and checks
                                                    crypto check here

Even for applications wanting to talk to a server it's better to use
SIG(0) instead of TSIG.

--Olaf

  Olaf M. Kolkman      |  RIPE NCC
  RIPE NCC             |  Phone:   +31 20 535 4444
  Singel 258           |  Fax:     +31 20 535 4445
  1016 AB Amsterdam    |  http://www.ripe.net
  The Netherlands      |  OKolkman@ripe.net

Home | Date list | Subject list