To: Jim Reid <jim@rfc1035.com>
cc: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>, Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:27:10 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: morishita-dnsop-misbehavior-against-aaaa

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Jim Reid wrote:

>     Iljitsch> If I run an IPv6-only service, why would IPv4-only
>     Iljitsch> systems need to be able to resolve my DNS names?
>
> Let's turn that question around. Why should an IPv4-only system be
> denied access to names of IPv6-only systems? Even though I don't run
> ChaosNET or Hesiod, my name server supports these DNS classes and will
> answer queries for names in them. Admittedly not in any meaningful
> way, but they would give sensible answers for these classes.

This is a good example. Neither ChaosNET or Hesiod have Root DNS entries.
You can't easily look up my hesiod entries since you can't find
nameservers for av8.net, class HS.  Hesiod and ChaosNET are therefore
"fragmented".  I recall much controversy about this many years ago, when I
wanted root DNS entries for Hesiod.  We learned to live with it.

In this case, I think simultaneous IPv6-IPv4 issue is too much of a
complicating issue, and similarly to Hesiod, is something that can easily
be worked around by those needing to do so by having separate networks
that are gateway'ed or tunneled, and run more like a simultaneous
novell/IPv4 networks.

To have an IPv6-only host interact with IPV4 DNS, one needs a dual-stack
host somewhere. Either the local IPv6 host is dual stack (not really
ipv6-only), or the DNS cache is dual stack, or a Ipv6-Ipv4 proxy. In any
case there can just as easily be two separate nameservices, just like the
case of Novell and IPv4.

There is no good reason for supporting both IPv4 and IPv6 in IPv4 DNS,
other than marketing IPv6 as a happy, compatible upgrade to IPv4. Of
course, that song and dance was given up some _long_ time ago.  Anyway, I
thought that this decision was already cast in stone, and that we are
stuck with it. Is it really possible that this decision might be
reconsidered?

		--Dean