To: IETF DNSOP WG <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Jakob Schlyter <jakob@rfc.se>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:14:57 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: comments to draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-operational-practices-00

I have some comments regarding key rollover in this document.

3.3.1 Zone-signing key rollovers

wouldn't it be possible to just add the new key, resign with the new key
only and remove the old key after the old signatures have expired?  old
signatures can still be checked since the old key is still in the zone and
signed by the ksk.

        normal              roll            after

        SOA0                SOA1            SOA2
        SIG10(SOA0)         SIG11(SOA1)     SIG11(SOA2)

        KEY1                KEY1            KEY1
        KEY10               KEY10           KEY11
                            KEY11
        SIG1 (KEY)          SIG1 (KEY)      SIG1 (KEY)
        SIG10(KEY)          SIG11(KEY)      SIG11(KEY)

3.3.2 Key-signing key rollovers

our (.se) current idea is to always be in the rollover phase - one key
about to expire within 1 year and one key about to expire within 2 years.
when the first key expires, we generate a new one so we always have two
"active" keys.

        init         roll         roll         roll

        KEY1         KEY1         KEY2         KEY3
                     KEY2         KEY3         KEY4
        SIG1 (KEY)   SIG1 (KEY)   SIG2(KEY)    SIG3(KEY)
                     SIG2 (KEY)   SIG3(KEY)    SIG4(KEY)

	jakob