To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
cc: Bob Hinden <hinden@iprg.nokia.com>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:32:24 +0300 (EEST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: How IPv6 host gets DNS address

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Randy Bush wrote:
> >> The one example I personally have used a couple of times is my
> >> laptop at the IETF or in some other network I plug it to.  I
> >> don't care less about DHCP, NTP (the clock is good enough
> >> already), Windows environments, search paths, etc. -- I just
> >> want the DNS and be done with it..!
> > That's my experience as well and the scenario where using RA's
> > makes the most sense.  I think it is becoming very common in many
> > quasi public networks where all one needs is an address and the
> > address of a DNS server.  It's simple and works reliably.
>
> due to recent more strinent mail relay issues, one also often needs
> the local smtp server.  pita.

I'm not sure if this is a common problem.  From my perception,
 - if you log in to some foreign system (either using SSH, VPN, ...),
you'll already use that mail relay; and

 - if you fetch the mails to your system or read them remotely (e.g. using
secured IMAP), you'd most probably want to have secured SMTP access as
well (if not encrypted, at least authenticated, to your home mail relay)

Your scenario seems to happen if the folks want to send mail from their
laptop (or similar) unauthenticated and unencrypted using SMTP?
Something I've missed?