To: Doug Barton <DougB@dougbarton.net>
cc: Bob Hinden <hinden@iprg.nokia.com>, John Schnizlein <jschnizl@cisco.com>, Soohong Daniel Park <soohong.park@samsung.com>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:03:39 +0300 (EEST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: How IPv6 host gets DNS address

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Doug Barton wrote:
> The problem with this argument is that it's a slippery slope.

Agreed here.

> It sounds
> totally reasonable to say, "As long as we have X, we might as well
> include Y." However, the address(es) of the recursive name servers
> aren't that useful without a search list.

Why do you need a search list?  I certainly don't.

Just remember which scenarios we'd be targeting the solution.  The target
audience would _very probably_ *not* be the enterprise network.

> Then, once you get into a
> windows environment you really need the netbios name server address....

In an environment of one hop (e.g. home), the lookups can go directly over
the LAN I think?  And in some cases, it isn't really necessary, as Windows
environements may not be used at all in some environments where this is
envisioned.

> etc. Once you get done with that, you've invented something that looks
> an awful lot like dhcp.

What if the mechanism is not meant to be an every-purpose tool for service
discovery, but rather, for every specific purposes only?

The one example I personally have used a couple of times is my laptop at
the IETF or in some other network I plug it to.  I don't care less about
DHCP, NTP (the clock is good enough already), Windows environments, search
paths, etc. -- I just want the DNS and be done with it..!